Architectural Rules

Before you begin any changes to the exterior of your home or other structures on your lot (sheds, fences, etc.) you must obtain approval from the Chartridge Architectural Committee (CAC). Most maintenance work and small to medium projects can be conveniently handled by email, but feel free to mail us the Change Approval Request Form if you prefer.

Larger projects requiring supporting drawings and other documents should use the approval form, but contact us by email first if you have any questions.

While the Covenants stipulate that approval of requests may take up to 60 days, we are usually able to accommodate homeowners much more quickly, depending on the scope of the project.

Architectural Committee Background

Like most planned developments, Chartridge has a committee that must approve exterior changes on your property. The Chartridge Architecture Committee (CAC) is a group of volunteers appointed by the Board of Directors of Chartridge Association for this purpose.

The CAC is responsible for maintaining standards of quality and harmony of external design in the community. Upholding these standards is critical to keeping Chartridge an attractive, desirable place to live, which supports property resale values for the entire community.

The approval requirements and authority of the CAC are based on the Chartridge Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions [sic], generally referred to as "the Covenants". To see for yourself, read Article V (starts on page 7) and Article VII, sections 2 and 3 (on page 9).

The second function of the CAC is to ensure that all properties in the neighborhood are maintained appropriately. If a home or lot is visibly in need of repair or maintenance, the CAC can take steps to have the homeowner address the problems. If the homeowner fails to do so, Article VI of the Covenants authorizes the Board of Directors to have the work done and hold the homeowner responsible for the cost.

If you have a concern about maintenance issues on a home in the neighborhood, please .

Below is a list of the more common questions asked of the CAC:

Q - What do I need to provide the CAC if I want to add an addition to my house?
A - For all additions to a home, including room additions, porches, decks and patios, the CCA needs you to fill out the CAC form and include specs and all Anne Arundel County permit information.
Q - What if I want to replace my siding or windows?
A - If everything is going to be the same as the original in terms of appearance, but newer, no CAC approval is needed. Otherwise, submit the CAC form and specifics on colors, design changes, and materials being used.
Q - I need to replace my fence. Do I need approval?
A - You may. If the fence is an exact replacement (style, size, footprint) then you do not need approval, assuming your previous fence was approved by the CAC. Otherwise submit a plat showing the footprint and specifics about the fence size and style, including a picture if possible. Keep in mind that most approved fences are pressure-treated wood and styled as picket or 4'-6' privacy fences. No white and/or lattice fences are allowed.
Q - I want to renovate my front steps. Do I need to submit something?
A - If you making any changes, then yes, you do need to submit a form. Brick is the most common and acceptable material in Chartridge for front steps and the easiest for the CAC to approve
Q - Does the CAC need to know about landscaping work?
A - Sometimes approval is needed for landscaping, especially if walls are being build or if a tree is to be removed. Landscaping higher than 3" always requires approval of the CAC. Generally speaking, if you are not on a hill where a waterway would affect your neighbor's yard, you are fine to take down trees.
Q - Why is the committee called the ACC and the CAC?
A - The committee is called the Chartridge Architectural Committee, or CAC. The Covenants call it the Architectural Control Committee and we used that name for many years. More recently we decided to drop "Control" because it suggests the wrong attitude. Other communities call their equivalent bodies by other names, such as Architecture Review Board (ARB), so you may hear a neighbor using a name to which they became accustomed in a previous home.